Thursday, July 9, 2009

Design Tutorial: Were To Find Recourses


To make either logo's or textures for your buildings or to make any other graphic-design you will need to have recourses. First thing you will need to know is that you need to be aware of any copyinfignement. You are only allowed to use any photo's of the web if they especially give permissions to allow you to use it. There are of course also the 'payed' websites wich provide a wide range of photo's video's and vectors. But as SL ins't a very big recourse of money right away you can start to search for free photo's out there. And since I am from Holland I have a nose for free stuff. We never pay to much even worse we try to get it for free.

There are several different things you can use within either textures or logo's or your other designs. Since one year I am also trying to make a living of making webdesigns so I became a memeber of the glossy 'WebDesigner'. Each month they provide a cd with nice content you are free to use. Fonts, brushes, photo's, gradients, shapes you name it and they give it. But since not everyone is buying this I will provide some of my resources. I am a user of photoshop so that is what my resources provide me.

* One of my great providers is 'LadyOak', after you made an account (very easy) you can get the greatest shapes, brushes, excellent gradients and all kind of styles. You will need to have a look at their site because it is really great.

*Since it's beginning long time ago 'Obsedian Dawn' has become one of the biggest recourses with photoshop brushes I have ever seen. They are really great! some of them are even wonderfull and stunning.

* Because Frederic builds the most incredible buildings we often need some very specific textures. And because I don't like that fact that we would use any SL free textures (nor will I pay for anytexture) I will have to make them myself. I use various sources for those. But only completely legal ones. For the Haunted House I used colorlovers. There you can make wonderfull patterns yourself with the colors you like. it's a great recourse in anyway.

*As a LogoMaker I often need a nice font to make it complete. Sometimes it takes sometime to find the thing you are excactly looking for. 1001 Free fonts has a lot of different styles. easily downgraded by style or by name. The majority of fonts on this website are freeware, but a small percentage are shareware so if you decide to keep any shareware fonts please register them. Registration information can be found on the readme.txt file attached

Just remember in any case that there are so many recources out there but always stay within the rules and don't use things people don't want to share. It's not legal and it's no fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment